• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

journeyman

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:43 AM

I picked these up from UPS late last night.

Here are the four pens I acquired from the Swann Galleries Auction.

Two Columbus Extra #98s
Posted Image

Two medium sized Tibaldi Trasparente
Posted Image

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

Good to see all those Italians went to a good home :)

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

Beautiful pens and collection!

#4 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:52 PM

Ricky, I remember your 10-pen (I think that was the number) Italian haul at LA 2012, what a beautiful assemblage that was. Congrats on some more!

#5 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

journeyman

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:33 PM

Ricky, I remember your 10-pen (I think that was the number) Italian haul at LA 2012, what a beautiful assemblage that was. Congrats on some more!

Thanks Jon.

Living in the US, you just never know about vintage Italians. It can be feast or famine. You just have to be ready when the opportunity arises. Had my Danitrio custom pens not arrived two weeks earlier, I would have bought more at the auction. The prices were quite good.

My pen buying has been down this year. I diverted a lot of discretionary income towards guitars. I love the new bass. No one talks about pens at work. However, I got a call yesterday from my division leader (my boss's boss) to go to his office. I get there and my division leader is with the previous division leader (now senior management) looking at the new guitar my division leader just made. The three of us were sitting there talking about guitars in the middle of the day.

#6 Will

Will

journeyman

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:23 PM

incredible collection!!

#7 penpalace

penpalace

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:39 AM

beautiful pens! I thought about bidding on those Columbus Extras, they are stunning!

#8 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:48 AM

Well, I wanted to add a cool picture like the beginning of this thread, but the lighting was not on my side....

it is grainy, and the color is off. Perhaps tomorrow I will reshoot...

Posted Image

once owned by me, Sold to Bill, then bought back by me. My only purchase at the swann auction.

Dare I say, a rare pen.

#9 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:00 PM

Well, tomorrow morning I head down to the auction house to pick up the pens. Being out of town often can pose challenges.

Hope to have some images up tomorrow.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:30 AM

I was quite selective at the auction. Spent couple hours at the preview day before and arrived early for another hour of browsing before the auction began. A rare chance to cherry pick for my collection in a setting a bit different from the usual ebay and pen show rounds. I did manage to grab a few nice Chiltons.

This one rather pops. The pens are dummies (fused caps/barrels so caps cannot be removed) serving as Demonstrators of the new inlaid metal technique. This is a Wingflow type trumpeting across the three pieces "Yes It's New". First full set I've seen, noting I don't hunt Chiltons assiduously. I'll link soon to a Chiltons from Swann thread and include a few other non-Chiltons here.

But, here is the Demonstration set, one of about 15 lots I bought at the auction.

Posted Image

regards

david

Posted Image

#11 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:39 AM

I was quite selective at the auction. Spent couple hours at the preview day before and arrived early for another hour of browsing before the auction began. A rare chance to cherry pick for my collection in a setting a bit different from the usual ebay and pen show rounds. I did manage to grab a few nice Chiltons.

This one rather pops. The pens are dummies (fused caps/barrels so caps cannot be removed) serving as Demonstrators of the new inlaid metal technique. This is a Wingflow type trumpeting across the three pieces "Yes It's New". First full set I've seen, noting I don't hunt Chiltons assiduously. I'll link soon to a Chiltons from Swann thread and include a few other non-Chiltons here.

But, here is the Demonstration set, one of about 15 lots I bought at the auction.

Posted Image

regards

david

Beautiful set,

Do you know if there is an all pencil set, or all fp set? Or is the pencil the correct set piece for "yes?"

Edited by brando090, 14 October 2012 - 03:39 AM.

#12 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:50 AM

The set was estimated very reasonably, and sold cheap -- you did very well.

I sold Bill the set. Came to me from the wild.

#13 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:56 AM

The set was estimated very reasonably, and sold cheap -- you did very well.

I sold Bill the set. Came to me from the wild.

Thanks David. The occasional external validation on a purchase never hurts, and always it is nice to learn provenance for a nice pen.

Next link should take us to the this and other Chiltons from the auction (next post).

Certainly the Chilton auction evinced the small world nature of the hobby. Rick Krantz bought back a pen he'd sold Bill years ago, one he'd regretting letting go. I bought what arguably was the gem of the Chiltons, a pen I first photographed around 2003 when still it was owned by Gerry Gerard, when I shot pens at the Philadelphia Pen Show, before Gerry sold it to Bill. I'll link to that in a couple minutes, but the post should pop up in"USA Other"

regards

-d

Posted Image

#14 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:28 AM

I'll post more Swann finds in this thread in next couple days.

But, do peek in via the following link to the Chiltons I bought in this auction.

Chiltons from the Swann Sept 2012 Pen Auction

regards

david

Posted Image

#15 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:55 AM

I saw a couple pens this afternoon that were purchased from the auction. To be frank, I'm a bit fuzzy on the pens. One was a more modern Oma, and a couple of Chiltons. I'll poke the guy to remind me. It was fun, though, handling some pens from the auction I had been reading so much about.

#16 penpalace

penpalace

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:40 AM

I'm still waiting on mine to arrive in the mail, will see how they turn out when customs is done doing their thing.

Edited by penpalace, 15 October 2012 - 02:40 AM.

#17 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:45 AM

I was quite happy to grab this Parker Vacumatic Oversize, with custom 9k overlay. A serious gift no doubt. While the gold is not Parker-issue, it likely is period and is lovely. This one stays with me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

regards

david

Posted Image

#18 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:37 AM

I have done quite a number of Chilton Wing Flow nib repairs, retips too over the past few years for the likes of Bill Basedian and others. Even had to fabricate "wings" on one Chilton nib that had broken wings.

Greg Minuskin
greg@gregminuskin.com
www.gregminuskin.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users