#1 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

Hi FPB members,

I´ve just receive a Parker Vacumatic that I bought in a German selling web site. The listing only had one pictures and the pen looked OK, but I could not identify which size was it. As it was pretty cheap I decided to buy it.

Today it arrived, after unwrapping the box, my first reaction was Yes!!! its a Senior Oversize!!!! and the dual tone nib looks good!!! Lucky, lucky man!!!

Posted Image

But then I unscrewed the rear knob and I discovered this!!!!

Posted Image

It looks like in Germany they are much more used to piston fillers, so instead of fixing the Parker filling mechanism, they changed it to a Piston filler... I kind of agree with them its more practical and lasts longer, but this ruins the pen somehow.

Posted Image

When I compare with others Senior Oversized I have I can see two differences:

1) The rear knob is longer ( to fit the piston knob probably)
2) The barrel is shorter ( maybe cut in the end part to take the parker filling mechanism)

Any suggestions on repair, or maybe an original barrel to spare?

1) keep the piston filler mechanism
2) go back to the original but the pens will look shorter....

Best regards

Vasco

Best regards
Vasco

simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

Hello Vasco,

Thanks for sharing that most interesting Parker Vac.

I too suspect this is an aftermarket mod. We had another of this sort shown on FPB if i recall correctly. And I own and have seen (usually British sourced) Vacs seemingly retrofitted with button-fill mechanisms. Will have to show image of one later this week.

Your pen at root seems to be an Oversize, predecessor to the Senior Maxima. I too am not certain how the extra-long blind cap was made. The OS has shorter blind cap. A later Senior Maxima blind cap is longer, but if chopped to make it medium size like the one on your pen, it would be too narrow where it meets barrel, making a step. Perhaps the blind cap was custom turned. If the owner was able to make a piston unit for the pen, this would not be a stretch.

Will have to think about this one. Just finished a run of night shifts at hospital here in Janesville (turns out one of my surgical colleagues had a relative who supervised nib production for Parker). Need some sleep and jet lag recovery before I can dive in further.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:43 PM

Thanks David,

I much appreciate your help. If you need the measurements to clarify any aspect of the pen I can put then here.

I also think its a modification made on the pen, because it was easier to service like this in Germany than putting a new sac, or because the owner consider the arker mechanism to faulty

Here in Europe Piston fillers where much more popular then pens using sacs.

Best

Vasco

Best regards
Vasco

#4 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

Hi David,

I follow your posts since you where a FPN member and never had realize that you lived and worked in Janesville... what a great place for a Parker afficionado like you to live in!!! That way pen hunting must be a bit more easy!

I have made some measurements an some more pictures of my "frankenpen"

Blind cap 2cm or 13/16'
Cap diameter 1,6 cm or 10/16'
Barrel length (without section) 6,65 cm or 2 5/8
Total length - 13,3cm or 5 1/4'

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As David, I am almost sure its a 1st generation oversize with an after market modification.

The filling mechanism its easy to work with and to fix and I will put a new oring system to replace the actual cork and it will be ready to write.

But I would prefer to find a replacement body. if anyone has one to spare please contact me!!!!!

Have a nice rest David!!

Best

Vasco

Best regards
Vasco

#5 Richard

Richard

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

It's an interesting pen, but I cringe when I see a pen like this that's been vandalized as this one has. :huh:

signature_richard.png

Click to send emailrichard@richardspens.com

#6 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:24 PM

It's an interesting pen, but I cringe when I see a pen like this that's been vandalized as this one has. :huh:

Hi Richard,

I agree with you!

I do prefer when my pens have no modifications apart from replacing corks or nylons by Orings, but I must admit that the Vacumatic design is far better looking than the filling mechanism it uses (IMHO), and a piston fillers appels to me, so this would be the best of two worlds, if it was original.

I will have a new blind cap turned to fit perfectly and will fix this piston and its all I can do for now, until I find an original Canadian Vac OS barrel...

By the way, the nib looks like may write very well at least when I dip the nib in ink and try it!!

Thanks

Vasco

Best regards
Vasco

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

Hi David,

I follow your posts since you where a FPN member and never had realize that you lived and worked in Janesville... what a great place for a Parker afficionado like you to live in!!! That way pen hunting must be a bit more easy!

Best

Vasco

Hi Vasco,

Then, you will need to post here more often so we can have more Vac chat :)

I have not (past tense) lived/worked in Janesville. Weird story. My prior hospital group director (with MD, MBA and administrative experience) left my hospital in Syracuse, NY, he went to Janesville. I've "always" lived two weeks in Manhattan (NYC) but off from work while there, and then gone out of town for two weeks straight 12 hour work shifts, at hospital that needed MD enough to pay good wage. Old boss invited me to join him in Janesville, which finally I accepted. So, starting last month, 2 weeks in Janesville, 2 weeks in Manhattan each month. Pure coincidence, though perhaps proof of Higher Power ;)

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#8 piscov

piscov

journeyman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:32 PM

Hi Vasco,

Then, you will need to post here more often so we can have more Vac chat :)

So, starting last month, 2 weeks in Janesville, 2 weeks in Manhattan each month. Pure coincidence, though perhaps proof of Higher Power ;)

David,

Great, good luck in your new position and good hunting on the 12 hours left of the day in Janesville:).

I will came more often to the FPB which I like very much.

Today I will post pictures of an interesting pen, a Penkala Safety, This brand was the predecessor of the Pelikan pens, as the inventor sold the patent to Pelikan. I will post them at the European forum

Take care

Vasco

Best regards
Vasco

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users