#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:25 AM

Introduction:

Today we will address a subset of the 1930's Parker pens that in general have been lumped by collectors under the "Thrift Time" label, but which in this specific case resemble-- to a point-- the 1934-1939 Parker Challenger and Parker Deluxe Challenger pens. Often these have been mislabeled in sales and in discussion as Challengers. But, there are differences, starting with the very imprint Parker placed on the "Thrift" pens in question. In fact these Challenger-like "Thrift" pens are well less common than their Challenger siblings, and documentation for them is sorely lacking, leaving us with speculation and contextual guess work to explain their existence.

Parker's so-called Thrift Time pens comprise disparate models manufactured from 1929-1938 or so, generally quality button-fillers less impressive than any given premier series in concurrent production. A unifying feature to these pens is the presence of a bland, "Parker Pen" barrel imprint, lacking the model name present on most Parker models from that era. However, do note that the term Thrift Time Pen is not from Parker, but rather is collector jargon developed in retrospect, based apparently on the presence of a Parker advert from 1931, which shows one of the many nameless "Thrift Time" models, while intoning in the advertising shpiel, "In these thrifty times…".

The collector term "Thrift Time pens" proved a convenient way to lump together pens lacking barrel model imprints or for which model names were not available to collectors. During the last thirty years, some information has come to light about some of these pens, so some of the pens today have model names or at least Parker descriptions available. Still, many collectors keep the pens under the "Thrift Time" umbrella. Thus, collectors can discuss Parker's Thrift Time pens, but should realize that-- really-- there are no Parker Thrift Time pens.

Shown below are several varieties of "Thrift Time" pen. The last two on the right likely are related and are the focus of our attention today. They resemble slender size Parker Challenger and Parker Deluxe Challenger, thus it is fair to call them Challenger-like Parker "Thrift Pens".

Look at the last two pens. The red mottled pen has a 1937+ blade style clip. The final silver mottled pen has the ball clip seen 1934-1937 in this series (and in Challenger in Deluxe Challenger).

Do not worry about integrating all the pens. From here we will examine just the Challenger-like varieties.

Posted Image

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:32 AM

Part 2: A look at Challenger and at Deluxe Challenger:

To begin, consider the Parker Challenger family, which included the 1934-1940 Parker Challenger and Parker Deluxe Challenger, and the 1937-1940 Royal Challenger, noting the Royal though is irrelevant to this discussion. Challenger and Deluxe Challenger did see some feature evolution during their run, the dominant change being a switch from ball clip to blade clip in 1937, a switch shared by the Challenger-like Thrift Pen we discuss.

Examine the photo below, showing early style of Challenger and Deluxe Challenger.

Posted Image

Challenger (the slender model shown in Silver Pearl) has:

• a single cap-band
  • mottled plastic
  • thin washer-ring at top of clip, thus requiring a large top end piece.
Deluxe Challenger (the standard model shown in Emerald Pearl)
  • triple cap-band
  • more discretely defined "plaque-on-black" celluloid
  • fat washer ring at top of clip, secured by a smaller end jewel rather than a full-diameter end piece

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:43 AM

Part 3: Focus on the Challenger-like Thrift Pen:

As noted, The Challenger-like Thrift Pen was a late participant in the "Thrift Time" game , one that appears to have run 1934-1939 or so, and which seemingly featured evolution in common with second-tier Parker Challenger family pens. Often misdescribed as Challengers or Deluxe Challenger when they turn up, in fact they share some features with both those pens, but also have features unique to the series.

During the last year or two, I've seen at least three or four instances of discussion appearing regarding this pen luster. Really, we have been long overdue to address it in detail.

Below, see a photo of two of the Challenger-like Thrift Pens, one in Silver Pearl, one in Burgundy Pearl. Both of these date to 1936 or earlier (I'll confirm dates at next examination of them) and-- as expected-- feature trim and contour consistent with 1st generation Challenger and Deluxe Challenger (ball clip, opaque gripping section and so forth).

Posted Image

Note the mix of features from Challenger and from Deluxe Challenger, and features not found in either of those series.

• Triple cap-band as seen in Deluxe Challenger
  • Mottled (not plaque-on-black) celluloid from plain Challenger
  • Thin washer-ring at top of clip--- and thus with full-diameter top endpiece-- from plain Challenger
  • Bland "Parker Pen" imprint with no model name, unlike either Challenger
  • Matching top end-piece and blind cap, something not seen on either Challenger (they have black end-pieces)
  • Finally, subtly, the top end-piece on these slender pens is contoured a bit differently from even plain Challenger, with a steeper initial beveling.

Posted Image

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:09 AM

Part 4: Early and Late Challenger-like Thrift Pen.

As noted, these pens seem to parallel the trim evolution of both Parker's Challenger and Deluxe Challenger..

Below, see again the Silver Pearl 1934-5 or so Challenger-like Thrift Pen but now juxtaposed with what I suspect is a late variant of the same pen. The red mottled pen, also slender size, has a 1939 date code and features found on other 2nd-tier Parker pens from that date, the blade (vs ball) clip and the visualated gripping section. The red pen also has black end pieces and shape to the top piece more consistent with plain Challenger. I do note that I've seen some first style pens (such as the Silver Pearl pen below) with late 1st-generation barrel markings (1936-7) and with black end pieces even before the switch occurred to blade clip.

Posted Image

Do I know the red pen is a late version of the silver pen in this photo?

No, I don't.

Recall that we have no Parker information for any of these pens, so market niche, reason for manufacture, connections among subtly different variants... all represent speculation. Take the speculation for what it is worth. That said, the red pen has a late date code and the gray pen an early code. IF this 2nd-tier Challenger-like Thrift Pen were to evolve consistently with other 2nd-tier Parkers, moving from the gray pen to the red pen features as shown would... make sense. Too, I've not seen any early-style pens above with late date codes or late style pens with early codes, so it seems we at least do NOT have parallel production of the two pens. This perhaps gets into minutia, but then this whole pen cluster falls into that category. That said, perhaps the silver pen was made for a specific market, then that style was discontinued, then the later style (red) pen appeared for a different purpose. Anything is possible.

This speculation also touches on key questions for these pens... why were they made? What market did they serve?

d

Posted Image

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:21 AM

Part 5: Mostly, but not all, small:

The overwhelming majority of Challenger-like Thrift Pens are found in slender size. Parker produced slender and standard sizes for most of its 2nd tier and 3rd tier 1930's pens. It is uncertain whey this Thrift Time cluster turns up nearly never in full/standard size. In fact we've had a couple threads in which these were suggested to be universally made in small size, but since I actually had a couple in standard size already , I was able to publicly clarify that the larger pen was made.

What I believe to be the standard size Challenger-like Thrift Pen, in comparison to the typical slender model, has:

• identical plastic
  • identical imprint
  • identical trim
  • identical contour
  • different clip
  • so far been found only in early (beveled top piece, ball clip, matching end piece color) form.
The same objection can be raised connecting this standard pen to the slender pen (given the different clip) as I raised to my schema connecting late and early slender pens in the prior post. How do we know the larger pen was intended by Parker for the same market as the smaller pen? Could the look be coincidental?

Again, anything is possible. Parker certainly could have used generally similar style for two pens targeting wholly different markets. But, absent information to suggest that, we can at least note the overarching connectedness of the large and small versions of this pen

I have seen very few of the full size pens. Below is a gem Silver Pearl from my own collection, the nicest of the full size Challenger-like Thrift Pens I've handled or seen. This one is near mint, with sticker glue residue present still where the sticker once resided near the top of the clip.

Note the pattern to the clip (otherwise of typical 2nd-tier Parker shape fro that era). The next image will show the clip better.

Scarce Full Size Parker Challenger-like Thrift Pen

Posted Image

I've handled a couple-few of Silver Pearl full size pens. I've seen just one of the full size Burgundy Pearl pens. This one shows the clip nicely. The red pen has significant wear and barrel ambering, but with only one seen by me... I could not be too choosy.

Posted Image

To compare, here is the Silver Pearl full size pen and the Burgundy Pearl slender. Big and little sibs, save for the clip

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:50 AM

Part 6: Why were these made? What market did they serve?:

We don't know. We can hypothesize. Note, too, that I comment for now on Challenger-like Thrift Pens. Some of the other pens collectors call "Thrift" have had documentation turn up over years. Parker is known to have tweaked its pens-- often mixing features from different lines-- to re-badge them for at least one large retail chain. Some of the store-brand Diamond Medal, Good Service and Webster pens sold by Sears were made for it by Parker. The pens often show their origins. Parker made "Safford Fifth Ave" pens for Woolworth's. We've had couple threads about re-badged Parker pens done for Sears and details will not be presented again here. Readers are invited to see those threads.

4 Page FPB article on re-badged Parkers done for Sears

More on the Parker Sears connection

Sears and Webster: Parker connection for some

Certainly it is possible that the Challenger-like Thrift pen was made for a store or chain of stores or was a seasonal product. It is possible that the pens indeed generally were re-badged with a store-brand name, but that some "leaked" out from Parker with Parker markings: accidents, left-overs or what have you. Still, given how many of these do turn up, if a majority had been made for resale under a different name, I would expect to find some of those re-badged pens, and so far I've seen no such beast. Make of that what you will.

Still, the clip on the full-size pen shown in the last post, does have a connection to re-badged pens by Parker. Parker made Televisor (a Parker model) in Canada for at least the English market. Re-badged versions of that pen turn up (identical plastic, different imprint and clip) as Webster pens made for Sears. The clip is the lined ball-clip shown last post.

Here see a proper Parker Televisor and Webster (for Sears) version.

Posted Image

And a Sears ad for a Webster-marked version of the Parker Televisor showing... that clip.

Posted Image

Note that I have no hard info linking these Challenger-like Thrift Pens to Sears. The notions that they were meant for some store chain or for seasonal sale are speculative. I have not seen any Sears pen at least that looks identical to them. The above information is just food for thought

Too, it is possible these are USA releases of pens meant to go overseas. I have seen 1939 USA-type Parker Duofold in "toothbrush plastic" with English "Parker Victory" imprint. Here is the common Duofold form.

Posted Image

Tony Fiscier recently showed Parker Televisor (candy stripe pens, made in Canada) in late form that look to be relabeled Parker Challenger and which don't resemble the typical Televisor (see bottom 2 pens). Could the Challenger-like Thrift Pen thus be a Parker meant for England but released in the USA?

from parkerpens.net

Posted Image

Finally, given that the Challenger-like Thrift Pens show up it seems starting in late 1934, and given that they have matching end-pieces could they be the slightly less fancy successors to the leftmost 1933-1934 Thrift Pen shown in the original photo in the original post?

So, many things are possible.

Posted Image

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:00 AM

Part 7: Collecting Challenger-like Thrift Pens:

The above posts carry most of the following information, but it never hurts to summarize.

The pens are found in Silver-Pearl, Burgundy Pearl and Emerald Pearl.

Two sizes-- slender (short thin) and standard (about 5" long) exist.

Standard size is far more scarce than slender.

Early and late forms of the slender pen are known, but the standard pen so far has turned up only in the early form.

Early pens have ball clip, matching end-pieces and opaque gripping section. Later pens have blade clip, black end-pieces (generally more consistent with contour of plain Challenger), and transparent gripping section. Some of the later early style pens do turn up with black end pieces, perhaps dividing then the 1st generation into 2 subtypes.

The plastic tends to be chemically fragile. I've seen several red pens develop fluorescence and crazing, emitting (? acetic acid) causing green corrosion to clips. This usually occurs at the top end piece. When I find clean specimens now, I tend to loosen the top end piece to allow the plastic to breathe, at least when the pens are not in use.

==================

I like the Challenger-like Thrift pens. Unexplained, packing the added charm of matching end pieces, with full size pens quite scarce, they often are missed by casual collectors and make for fun finds.

Critiques are invited.

regards

David

Posted Image

#8 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:18 PM

However, do note that the term Thrift Time, is not from Parker, but rather is collector jargon developed in retrospect, based apparently on the presence of a Parker advert from 1931, which shows one of the many nameless "Thrift Time" models, while intoning in the advertising shpiel, "In these thrifty times…".

The collector term "Thrift Time pens" proved a convenient way to lump together pens lacking barrel model imprints or for which model names were not available to collectors. During the last thirty years, some information has come to light about some of these pens, so some of the pens today have model names or at least Parker descriptions available. Still, many collectors keep the pens under the "Thrift Time" umbrella. Thus, collectors can discuss Parker's Thrift Time pens, but should realize that-- really-- there are no Parker Thrift Time pens.

David,

This is a great topic where further knowledge is needed. I think I have a pen or two to post in contribution. However, I would like to start with the term "Thrift Time". I know you like accuracy, so I need to address your comments above. Parker did indeed do more than just say "in these thrifty times". They did in fact use the term "Thrift Time" as a true entity, in this case it being the period of time the country was experiencing. You'll see the Parker ad below, where this is the case. You'll see the term used in both the title of the ad, and in the third paragraph of the text.

So while it's true that Parker had no cataloged pens called "Thrift Time", it is incorrect and inaccurate to claim that this name is a collector invention. Clearly Parker themselves had this type of category in mind for these types of pens, based on the text in this ad

Posted Image.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#9 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:39 PM

David,

This is a great topic where further knowledge is needed. I think I have a pen or two to post in contribution. However, I would like to start with the term "Thrift Time". I know you like accuracy, so I need to address your comments above. Parker did indeed do more than just say "in these thrifty times". They did in fact use the term "Thrift Time" as a true entity, in this case it being the period of time the country was experiencing. You'll see the Parker ad below, where this is the case. You'll see the term used in both the title of the ad, and in the third paragraph of the text.

So while it's true that Parker had no cataloged pens called "Thrift Time", it is incorrect and inaccurate to claim that this name is a collector invention. Clearly Parker themselves had this type of category in mind for these types of pens, based on the text in this ad

Hi John,

Thanks for joining in and in particular for showing that classic advert.

Yeah, I do like to get the information straight, but too that is one of the charms of tossing out a thread of this sort to the online community; vetting and proofreading are offered by people besides the author :)

I was unable to find my copy of the advert before posting (still doing some unpacking). Clearly the words "Thrift Time" rather than "In these thrifty times" are present. and I don't know now that I've seen the latter expression, as I'm not sure I've seen a different advert of this sort, though... I might have.

So, for final copy (I won't do a retro-edit to this thread, but for print or website articles) I would modify what I wrote.

However (why is there always a "however"), I do believe this does not change the import of my description of the use of "thrift" by collectors for the pen(s). Still, the pens really are not "Thrift Pens", as follows...

Parker used "Thrift Time" in an ad, but the expression was not a model or series name. And, I believe the notions stand that Parker never made a "Thrift Time Pen" and that all the disparate pens made during ten years linked only by having no model name on barrel, most looking quite different from the pen in the ad... are called Thrift Pens only by somewhat tenuous thread, via collector convention.

The pen in the ad could as easily be called Parker's Christmas Pen in retrospect by collectors. "Thrift" and "Christmas" describe context not model and are used the same way in the ad. No doubt today calling all the pens (ten years of pens and multiple styles) in my first picture "Parker's Christmas Pens" just because Christmas was mentioned in one ad would seem... odd. Thrift Pen too is a bit odd... except that we are used to it. ;)

Fun stuff, no doubt.

regards

david

Posted Image

#10 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:44 PM

Agreed David. Parker did not catalog pens called Thrift Time. But I can understand why collectors started using the term for the class of pens.

I'm going to have to wait until I get home to shoot some photos of pens for this thread. I've got a few similar Part 4. One of them has a top piece that is stepped and the same material as the pen, gray with reverse gold trim no less.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

#11 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:36 AM

Agreed David. Parker did not catalog pens called Thrift Time. But I can understand why collectors started using the term for the class of pens.

I'm going to have to wait until I get home to shoot some photos of pens for this thread. I've got a few similar Part 4. One of them has a top piece that is stepped and the same material as the pen, gray with reverse gold trim no less.

Hi John,

I look forward to seeing them.

The stepped pen probably is a different pen, from the December 1933 Parkergrams, although there could be a connection (the Challenger-like pen could be a successor of sorts).

As to naming... I know you share interest in exploring original vs retrospective jargon. After all, it was you who correctly pointed out that the Thrift-like pen that collectors of late call the Parker Raven, in fact was a no-name model that Parker once described as "raven black and gold" referencing color and look. And so it goes... ;)

-d

Posted Image

#12 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 02:49 PM

I just realized that the gray marble pen I was referring to, with the reverse trim and stepped top, is the same model as the red marble pen on the bottom in your first photo (below). This pen, which I no longer own but may have a photo of, was a full size pen.

Posted Image

John Danza

#13 John Jenkins

John Jenkins

journeyman

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:00 PM

David,

Superb article. I insist that you submit it to Erano post haste. Typically articles like this feature pens that are practically unobtainable, but this line while not common is affordable and available to the typical collector who chooses to look for them.

I have a tidbit of info to add to the speculation at the end of chapter 6 - the potential of the Challenger like pens evolving from the step end pens. Reviewing the eight Challenger-like pens and pencils in my possession, all have date coded barrels - (16, 36, 36, 47, 47, 7, 8., 8.). Of the 17 step end pens and pencils in my collection, only one pencil has a date code - (17). A small sample size, but a clear indication of general time lines.

While outside the scope this article, I've found the step ends to be a fuller line - available in both standard and slender sizes in roughly the same numbers and ring top slenders as well although in lesser numbers.

John
The poster formerely known as Buzz J

#14 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:28 PM

David,

Superb article. I insist that you submit it to Erano post haste. Typically articles like this feature pens that are practically unobtainable, but this line while not common is affordable and available to the typical collector who chooses to look for them.

I have a tidbit of info to add to the speculation at the end of chapter 6 - the potential of the Challenger like pens evolving from the step end pens. Reviewing the eight Challenger-like pens and pencils in my possession, all have date coded barrels - (16, 36, 36, 47, 47, 7, 8., 8.). Of the 17 step end pens and pencils in my collection, only one pencil has a date code - (17). A small sample size, but a clear indication of general time lines.

While outside the scope this article, I've found the step ends to be a fuller line - available in both standard and slender sizes in roughly the same numbers and ring top slenders as well although in lesser numbers.

John

Hi John,

Hi praise indeed... thanks. Obviously- I share your interest in this series.

The step-end pens with thin-fat-thin cap-rings are well better documented than the Challenger-like pens. I was present at the Chicago Pen Show who knows now maybe 5 years ago, when the previously unavailable December 1933 Parkergrams turned up. I bought the original copy, knowing that the thing had been photocopied (copies now are out there), but I like original Parker material. The last page shows the stepped end pens. No model name, but sold as a $5 set, the pen at $3.50 or $3.75 (ad not with me today) making the pen either another nameless Parker or arguably a "Parker $3.50/3.75 Pen". Parker had used price to name pens before. The stepped end pens are found full size, and slender size, with slender either ring or clip, for three pens in each color with four colors made and with Silver Pearl found only (it seems) with gold-color trim, making it seem reverse trim to those of us believing "all gray Parker pens from 1930's have chrome trim"; however, I cannot consider it reverse trim, because within context of its series, it is normal not a minority finding.

I have not done a full peek at my several Challenger-like pens to check all date codes. I pulled two from the permanent collection in the Hamllton case as their plastic had become possessed, and I did not want them to infect other pens. Now I need to recall where I put them. I have vague recollection (dangerous ground) that the Challenger-Like pens start in 1934, which would be consistent with Challenger appearance which- iirc- first show up in the Feb 1934 Parkergram, though the earliest Challenger and Deluxe Challenger have no "Parker" on the ball clip, just a flat raised plaque. I've never seen that early chellenger-type clip on the Challenger-like Thrift Pen (confused yet?).

The stepped end $3.50 / $3.75 pen (really need to check that price. It WOULD be interesting if the price is the same as what shows on the sticker of that 1939 late Challenger-like pen in one of the pics above), mostly has no date code, as it appeared in 1933 and appears to have been a sub-1-year series. I believe I've had one pencil with later clip (not the Duofold-like pure ball clip, but the raised-plaque-parker clip such as Challenger) which turned up with a 3rd quarter 1934 imprint, the first quarter imprints were used and apparently the latest date stepped-end "Thrift" item found so far.

To summarize general time frames, and with the caveats about linking different style early and late Challenger-like pens noted (as per earlier post):

1) Stepped end $3.50/3.75 Parker pen-- generally a fancier seeming though perhaps related item to Challenger-like pen-- was shown in December 1933 catalogue and overwhelmingly shows up sans date codes, suggesting discontinuation before 3rd quarter 1934, though I have seen one pencil with that earliest date code, though that pencil had later clip.

2) The Challenger-like Thrift Pens seem to show up with 1934 or later date codes suggesting mid-late 1934 introduction. This does raise possibility of a successor-role to the stepped end pens, which themselves might have inspired or related to Challenger, proper, as Challenger Family and Challenger-Like Thrift pens did follow the run of the stepped-end pens, though there might have been some overlap.

3) Stepped end pens, which are (as of a few years ago) known to be documented-- unlike Challenger-like Thrift Pen-- show up in generally similar numbers in Standard and Slender, as is case for most Parker pens. The Challenger-like Thrift Pens appear overwhelmingly in slender size, something I am at loss to explain. The rare Standard version of this one has different clip, unlike pretty well all other Parker pens, raising possibility the Standard pen is not meant to be same series as the small pen, even though otherwise the standard and small pens are identical. Dunno.

regards

david

Posted Image

#15 John Jenkins

John Jenkins

journeyman

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 27 November 2011 - 04:26 AM

Good stuff.

The pre-Challengers certainly have some intrigue to them.

Perhaps the step ends should be discussed next, as they seem more straightforward.

John
The poster formerely known as Buzz J

#16 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:34 AM

This subject has really interested me, because I like uncataloged "intrigue" and the colors are so darn cool (I guess I need a break from hard rubber). Anyway, I've managed to acquire a couple of these off ebay in the past week, one of which has arrived. I'm not sure that these photos get us any further in the discussion, but they do show a couple of things that we don't yet have images of.

First, this is the emerald pearl, which we haven't yet seen an example. The barrel is darker than the cap. The clip washer shows the greenish mold or decay that David noted seems to be a regular occurance on these models.

Posted Image

This photo shows the imprint, again as previously noted as a plain "Parker" imprint. The date code is "16", being the first quarter of 1936. The nib is imprinted with the same date code. Again, David noted that there seems to be a prevalence of 1936 dates on these pens.

Posted Image

The other pen on the way is a burgundy pearl. I'll post when it arrives, if there's anything different about that pen compared to this one.

John Danza

#17 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:47 PM

I'll throw my 3 cents in here... I'd say 2 cents, but I feel it's a little more valuable than that.

I got one of these several weeks ago from eBay not knowing exactly what it was, and posted a topic here about it looking for identification.
That pen is one of the later styles with a blade clip:

Posted Image

Well, I got the opportunity just last week to purchase a pen/pencil set with what I assumed to be precisely the same pen as the one I already had. Well, the set arrived in the mail today, and I immediately noticed that the pen clip on this new set was much longer than the one on the pen I already had. It seems to be the same length as the one on the burgundy pen in David's "Part 4" post. See a clip comparison in this photo:

Posted Image

You may also note a slight difference in the shape of the top piece. There are actually some differences in the top pieces and in the blind caps, even though both pens are a 2nd Quarter 1939 manufacture:

Posted Image

- where the pieces marked 1 are from the short-clipped pen, the pieces marked 2 from the recently acquired long-clipped pen.

Here is a picture of my new set:

Posted Image

You may notice that the pencil is missing its clip, and the gold plating on the nose cone is work almost completely away.

I wonder if the clip on my short-clipped pen is actually a pencil clip. Since my pencil did not come with a clip, I am unable to compare its clip length with the length of the clip on my short-clipped pen. Does anyone have a pencil that they can make a comparison with?

As a note about the stepped-end pens, I think we need a topic on that as well. I got one of those today in the mail as well... (I've been collecting lower-tiered Parkers lately ;))

Edited by RobertNFrappuls, 02 December 2011 - 09:50 PM.

#18 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:50 AM

I just received the Burgundy Marble pen that I bought off of Ebay a short time back. Here's a quick photo of the pen, showing once again a Q1 1936 date code.

Posted Image

While this pen looks like the Emerald Marble pen I showed a couple of posts up, there are actually subtle differences. The most apparent differences are in the top pieces, shown below. The Emerald Marble top piece is primarily rounded but with a wee little point at the crown. The Burgundy Marble has a distict faceted profile, again with the little point at the top of the crown. I find this pretty unusual, given that the pens were made essentially at the same time. With mass production being what it is, I'm not sure how to explain the difference.

Posted Image

In looking at David's original posts, I noticed that the photo he posted in "Part 3" shows this same difference in top pieces. In this case, David's Burgundy Marble has the same rounded profile as my Emerald Marble while his Silver Marble has the faceted profile like my Burgundy Marble. I've copied the photo below for ease of reference.

Posted Image

I really don't have an explanation of the different top pieces. I just bring it to everyone's attention so that we might notice it and discuss it.

John Danza

#19 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:40 AM

I really don't have an explanation of the different top pieces. I just bring it to everyone's attention so that we might notice it and discuss it.

John,

You're seeing exactly the same sort of thing that I am with my pens in the post above. Given mass production, how do we account for these differences in end pieces? I don't have a real explanation either. Just observation. And limited observation at that...

David, can you explain any of this away?

#20 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:07 AM

John,

You're seeing exactly the same sort of thing that I am with my pens in the post above. Given mass production, how do we account for these differences in end pieces? I don't have a real explanation either. Just observation. And limited observation at that...

David, can you explain any of this away?

Hey, by now everyone should realize I never explain... anything. Posted Image

I gather data and make observations. Then toss off the same line every time, "Batch variation? Different market niche? Subtle era evolution? Small Market? Seasonal?...."

Whenever anyone tosses out a weird Parker or Sheaffer, just throw out that quote and we're off to the races.

Pretty sure I have a green slender early style (matching ends, ball clip) pen lying around somewhere, but it might be buried in the to-be-restored cases.

Here's a pencil though.

Posted Image

regards

david

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users