1 reply to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:16 PM

We've had several threads regarding sub-brand (WASP, Vacuum, etc) Sheaffer pens from the 1930's, particularly in a pattern that appeals to me, one that has gained a popular collector name "Screaming Souls in Purgatory" or "Screamer/Screamers" in short form, named for the asymmetric black spots suggesting Dali-esque gaping mouths, against a pearly miasmic background. One fellow has advocated "birdseye", presumably for the maple wood pattern, not for the frozen broccoli, though that remains to be determined. Sheaffer called the two colors just green and gray.

As with many of my minor collecting interests, I did not set out to have a mini-colleciton of WASP Screamers, and certainly did not intend to pursue in completist fashion. A couple had crossed my path, perhaps 8 years ago. Sub-brand Sheaffers on the whole were not a key target for me. Often they feature smaller nibs than do high-line pens. They tend (not universally) to have fragile trim. Finding clean specimens can pose significant challenge. But, the plastic is sound and the pens when found usually are structurally intact.

Here are a few FPB Screamer threads

link: Sheaffer Sub-brand Screamer Plastic Topic #1

link: Sheaffer Sub-brand Screamer Plastic Topic #2

link: Sheaffer Sub-brand Screamer Plastic Topic #3

One thing led to another. Found a few more pens. Found Sheaffer documentation. Found undocumented (so far) variants. Found couple different model names imprinted by Sheaffer, sometimes with subtle trim differences. Discovered (before finding paperwork) that an oversized version was made. Shot a gray OS I did not own. After couple years hunting, in a single show in a single hour found two oversized green pens (that was a happy day). Have found now two low-end non-Sheaffer pens done in this plastic.

Have found two desk sets, pretty things in which the circular base was done in the same material as the green pen. Never found (had never seen) a gray desk base, though iirc Roger claimed they exist.

With a slight tangent, I mention Dan Reppert, long time Sheaffer collector, who worked there, who is very active in the pen show circuit and who has hosted the PCA library, but who is relatively quiet online. Still, he does read my Sheaffer posts (why, I don't know, but there ya go), and tosses insights, paperwork and pens my way from time to time.

So, for better or worse, his having read about my hunt for the gray Screamer desk base... he brought one to the Ohio Pen Show, November 2011. We'd been tailing about couple other pens and a pile of parts he had for sale. We usually figure a happy price. WIth a cheerfully malicious gleam, he mentioned he had one more thing I might like, and then he pulled out the gray Screamer desk base. Quoted a price. When I asked if that was the best we'd do, again, I just was hit with "the look".

Joking (but not really, but hey, that's ok), that every time I buy a retail old pen that has eluded me at length (not many do), or even if I finally find such a pen at bargain price (as recently with my first Garnet Shell Wahl Doric), inevitably I then in short order start finding them discounted here an there. 13 years (or what have you) for first example. Two months until the next. Or two hours. That's ok too.

I bought the set.

I might have this thread melded with other WASP threads, but for now figured it can stand alone. I hope too in next few days to shoot a rough shot of my entire Screamer collection in one display.

Recognizing that surprises can occur, this would appear to be the final pen-related item for my "Sheaffer" Screamer set. I've seen only Standard and OS pocket pens, though one advert would seem to suggest Slender exists (never seen one).. I've found off-advert twist fill pens (advertised only as lever fill) in standard size, and have found a black-end pens (standard) with imprint different from other models. I feel no urge to hunt some very low end Sheaffer utility-level pencils done in this plastic, though won't object to grabbing them if they cross my desk.

This one is in nice shape, apparently used by Acme Fast Freight. Wish that imprint were bit deeper.

So, my collection is "complete". Thanks Dan Reppert for thinking of me on this one.

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:59 AM

David;
See, the rectangle made since as the green was on a round. I told you the grey had a matching base. Excellent find - should be with my base collection but, I'll relent to your WASP collection.

Roger W.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users