12 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:58 AM

I recently acquired an interesting Sheaffer pen for my collection, prompting this thread.

Sheaffer's Grey Pearl (first of three colors to be so named, this one showing gray with red veins) is a relatively uncommon Sheaffer color and is known to be fragile. Discolored, crazed and cracked specimens are prevalent. While I don't hunt Balance in general and Gray/Red specifically in any sort of completist fashion, I do have a few nice OS examples and a few non OS pens as well. Most in my collection are off-catalogue variants, adding charm to the accumulation.

The following photo shows four pens in this color : three are oversized, one is standard size. Pretty clean pens.

NONE of these pens though is a catalogued variant. All show a key deviation from the norm. There are three more off-catalogue trim variants I'd like to own: double band, triple band, and fish scale band.

I'm rather fond of this group. Care to identify the anomalies? (click image for full size if browser/boardware shrinks)

Posted Image

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • LocationPenguin, NW Tasmania, AUSTRALIA

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:25 AM

I recently acquired an interesting Sheaffer pen for my collection, prompting this thread.

Sheaffer's Grey Pearl (first of three colors to be so named, this one showing gray with red veins) is a relatively uncommon Sheaffer color and is known to be fragile. Discolored, crazed and cracked specimens are prevalent. While I don't hunt Balance in general and Gray/Red specifically in any sort of completist fashion, I do have a few nice OS examples and a few non OS pens as well. Most in my collection are off-catalogue variants, adding charm to the accumulation.

The following photo shows four pens in this color : three are oversized, one is standard size. Pretty clean pens.

NONE of these pens though is a catalogued variant. All show a key deviation from the norm. There are three more off-catalogue trim variants I'd like to own: double band, triple band, and fish scale band.

I'm rather fond of this group. Care to identify the anomalies? (click image for full size if browser/boardware shrinks)

Posted Image

Posted Image

regards

David

I will give the quiz a go David.

[From L to R]
numbers 1 and 4 have no white dot
numbers 3 and 4 have no imprint on the pocket clip.
Only number 1 has a visible imprint - but the other three may have them on the backside of the photo.
Garth
Penguin, NW Tasmania, Australia

We will be forever known by the tracks we leave behind - Sitting Bull

#3 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:10 AM

I will give the quiz a go David.

[From L to R]
numbers 1 and 4 have no white dot
numbers 3 and 4 have no imprint on the pocket clip.
Only number 1 has a visible imprint - but the other three may have them on the backside of the photo.

Numbers 3 and 4 you can see the imprint - I'm sure #2 has one as well.

Number 1 you have right as this is a non white dot OS with a number 5 nib (likely). 2 thru 4 you need to go again. 2 is just stunning!

Roger W.

#4 wekiva98

wekiva98

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:55 AM

OK, my turn:

-- The premier-sized, no-white-dot No. 1 has been mentioned.
-- No. 2 has a beautiful matching section, something I've never seen before on a balance.
-- No. 3 is confusing. I'm wondering if the wide band is gold-filled instead of 14K, since I don't see the usual mark. While I'm at it, I'm not sure I see the 14K mark on the clip, either.
-- As for No. 4, seems to me all my balances with milled bands are later-made, in black or one of the striped colors. Can't remember previously seeing a milled band on one of the marbled colors.

#5 Pedro

Pedro

journeyman

• Members
  • 454 posts
  • LocationWestern Illinois

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:16 PM

Still salivating, but here it goes:

1. 1932, short round-ball clip, Non-Lifetime OS
2. 1935 OS Matching grip section
3. 1935 OS Autograph, I see a small mark on the clip and, is the signature facing backwards?
4. 1935 Milled band, not a signed clip

I need to get me a catalogue....and a bib ;)
Pedro
Looking for a Sheaffer OS Balance with a Stub nib and other OS Oddities.

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:34 PM

Strong work, gents.

All told you pretty well nailed it, the photo itself limiting the interpretation.

First pen indeed is a off-catalogue NON-lifetime OS. OS pens catalogue as white dot.

Second is the only Balance I've ever seen with matching gripping section.

Third pen indeed is an Autograph (solid gold trim) and off-catalogue variant in this color. The hallmarks were washed out in the reflections. And, the signature does largely wrap around back of pen.

Here's a thread with a video discussion Paul Erano and I had regarding this pen

http://fountainpenbo...son-chronicles/

Fourth pen has the off-catalogue milled "Jeweler's" cap-band. These are found both white dot and non white dot. This is a earliest color to have this cap-band.

Note the Autograph and the Jeweler's-Band pen have smooth flat-ball clip. Save for Autograph and off-catalogue fancy band pens, flat-ball clips were imprinted "Sheaffer's". A smooth flat-ball clip is instant clue to the presence of an... interesting... pen.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#7 Pedro

Pedro

journeyman

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:45 PM

So, do we get a prize? Posted Image
Pedro

#8 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:04 PM

So, do we get a prize? Posted Image

You mean my willingness to consider parting with a gem Carmine OS Balance with off-catalogue "Jeweler's" cap-band is not enough of a prize? Posted Image

In the next couple weeks I will having the print made of the Carmine pens from the prior contest, but I cannot do contests every day. Hmmm... maybe a major annual prize for the greatest number of real posts (discounting "me too" and that sort post). Nah... I can see that getting ugly.

I guess the prize for this one is a hearty "Well done folks!"

-d

Posted Image

#9 wekiva98

wekiva98

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:09 PM

After writing that I did not remember previously seeing a marbled Sheaffer with a milled band, I found this on my shelf. My memory could be better, obviously.

Posted Image

#10 Pedro

Pedro

journeyman

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:56 PM

What size model? 14K clip?
Pedro

#11 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:07 PM

What size model? 14K clip?

Pedro;

I don't believe I've ever seen a milled band pen have 14K hardware so I think the answer is no by definition.

Roger W.

#12 wekiva98

wekiva98

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:20 PM

It's a small set -- the pen is 4 3/4 inches long.

#13 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:11 AM

After writing that I did not remember previously seeing a marbled Sheaffer with a milled band, I found this on my shelf. My memory could be better, obviously.

SNIP

Sweet set. Gray/Red is hard to find clean and is relatively uncommon even... not clean. Clean with off-catalogued Jeweler's cap-band is grand.

Angle makes this one tough for me, but if it is a stubby set (short but full girth) rather than "just" a ladies' slender set, that is a significant step up.

regards

David

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users