Photo

Happy David. Sheaffer Balance OS Gray Red Jeweler's Set.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:13 AM

Sheaffer's 1930's Balance is the second most prevalent series in my pen collection. I do not hunt with a full-tilt completist bent, but I rarely turn away high-cachet and/or interesting variants. If you've seen the last two issues of PENnant Magazine, you've seen some of my Canadian Balance-era pens and some of my pens with off-catalogue cap-band patterns.

These days I buy many pens, most for resale. I have not counted, but I would be shocked if (even not counting the dross found in some big collection purchases) if the last few years have seen fewer than a few hundred pens grabbed each year. I add relatively few (though still too many) to my own collection. But, I still have a soft spot for special Balances.

I grabbed the following set via ebay last week. I've seen few of this particular variant in my fourteen years collecting. Picked up one a few years ago, but it was a true trasher and resides in my parts box. This one is not a trasher. Took a bit of risk grabbing this one via the 'bay, as this color always is a risky purchase.

1934-5 oversized Balance set in the relatively uncommon (and chemically/physically fragile) Gray Pearl (gray with red veins). Off catalogue so-called Jeweler's (wide, milled) cap-band. Gorgeous condition. Great gray color, without greening of the plastic.

This one goes in my personal collection.

Posted Image

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:08 AM

Whoa, that is a sweet set. Not only is the plastic in great condition, but the patterning in this particular set is really eye-catching. Grats!

#3 jonro

jonro

journeyman

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

That is a beautiful example of the red veined gray pearl Balance. I have one (OS with standard trim) with good color, but it needs a new cap. Anyway, that's the nicest example I've ever seen. I don't think I saw that auction.

#4 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:08 PM

I don't think I saw that auction.

Like it would have mattered. :D

#5 jonro

jonro

journeyman

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

You never know. Every dog has his day.

#6 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

True that. All in jest, anyway, though he does seem a tad voracious.

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

True that. All in jest, anyway, though he does seem a tad voracious.

Call me "Chomper"

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#8 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:30 PM

Hi Chomper,

Like every one else, I'm impressed with you new arrival. Kinda makes my "new" $13.50 Imperial look a bit lame....

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#9 Dennis Lively

Dennis Lively

journeyman

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • LocationLinn Creek MO.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

Stellar find David. I've yet to be lucky enough to find any Sheaffer with a milled cap band.

#10 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:44 PM

Stellar find David. I've yet to be lucky enough to find any Sheaffer with a milled cap band.

Interesting. Is this Dennis who will be spending another 2 weeks at the hospital or is this Richelle who lacks manners and insults board members, staff and the host/owner?

Edited by PatMorgan, 10 October 2012 - 11:45 PM.

#11 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:05 AM

Interesting. Is this Dennis who will be spending another 2 weeks at the hospital or is this Richelle who lacks manners and insults board members, staff and the host/owner?

Pat, I don't know the backstory on if you have a history with these people, but having you pop up and play "Whack-A-Mole" every time they post is getting pretty tiresome, too. Just let David deal with it if he deems necessary. Insults can go in both directions, and it's coming pretty close.

Just saying.

#12 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:15 AM

Pat, I don't know the backstory on if you have a history with these people, but having you pop up and play "Whack-A-Mole" every time they post is getting pretty tiresome, too. Just let David deal with it if he deems necessary. Insults can go in both directions, and it's coming pretty close.

Just saying.

All this into the fuzzy edges no doubt. But, this Board endeavors (nothing being Absolute) to embrace those edges. And there really is (in the global sense, I don't know Pat's experiences) a great deal of history in play here. I won't get into it. If there is a game of Whack-A-Mole game going on, Pat is playing hammer, not mole, which should convey some context ;)

So, how to play it????

"Richelle" showed no class, and pushed things a bit too far. Pat's question is... provocative... but not unearned, in this situation. Your views certainly are fair to raise as well. Sooooo.... let's not squelch anyone on this. "Dennis", for the moment, can speak for the Dennis/Richelle axis, Pat may poke at the mess a bit, you may share your views of Pat's concerns, and I'll just step back and find the whole shebang... fascinating, while endeavoring to let things play out more than would some other Boards.

Time will tell. Fountain Pen Board/ FPnuts is, after all, a process in evolution. ;)

regards

d

Posted Image

#13 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:40 AM

Fair enough. I'm good to just sit back and let it roll.

#14 Dennis Lively

Dennis Lively

journeyman

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • LocationLinn Creek MO.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:19 AM

OK, for the record. I'm the real Dennis. I went in for a 96 hour psych evaluation. Ended up staying an extra week. It was going to be a 21 day stay but no insurance killed that but fast, so I came home 'early'. Diagnosis firmly in place, meds adjusted properly & diabetes working it's way to being under control. (my A1C was a 9!) is it any surprise I'm on insulin now as well. I'm seeing a counselor, feeling great & life is moving along quite well.

My plans for the future are to try and rebuild my reputation and business based on quality work, honesty and integrity. I only ask the chance for that to happen.

Pat. I sincerely do not remember you or what I have done to earn your ire. If you message me with the details (or post here for all to read, at your discretion) I'll do all in my power to make things right.

Regarding Richelle. She is generally considered the family hothead & even more so when someone go's after family. I'm the same way, but to a much lesser degree. So I'm not surprised in the slightest she spouted off. She could have done things in a more subtle or even tactful way, but that's really not her. She's more the verbal sledgehammer to the forehead type. Speaking on her behalf, I sincerely apologize.

Dennis

#15 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:43 AM

Welcome Dennis,

I'm a believer in "new starts", I hope all goes well for you. As to Richelle, the bit I had to do with her was problem free but her performance overall was "colourful" to say the least, She does need to improve her behaviour ( and a lot) , something I think may be difficult for her but time will tell.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#16 Dennis Lively

Dennis Lively

journeyman

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • LocationLinn Creek MO.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:27 AM

Thank you very much Hugh.

Here is to new starts and bright futures.

#17 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:29 AM

OK, for the record. I'm the real Dennis. I went in for a 96 hour psych evaluation. Ended up staying an extra week. It was going to be a 21 day stay but no insurance killed that but fast, so I came home 'early'. Diagnosis firmly in place, meds adjusted properly & diabetes working it's way to being under control. (my A1C was a 9!) is it any surprise I'm on insulin now as well. I'm seeing a counselor, feeling great & life is moving along quite well.

My plans for the future are to try and rebuild my reputation and business based on quality work, honesty and integrity. I only ask the chance for that to happen.

Pat. I sincerely do not remember you or what I have done to earn your ire. If you message me with the details (or post here for all to read, at your discretion) I'll do all in my power to make things right.

Regarding Richelle. She is generally considered the family hothead & even more so when someone go's after family. I'm the same way, but to a much lesser degree. So I'm not surprised in the slightest she spouted off. She could have done things in a more subtle or even tactful way, but that's really not her. She's more the verbal sledgehammer to the forehead type. Speaking on her behalf, I sincerely apologize.

Dennis

Please accept my best wishes for the best of health and improvements that lead you towards healing.

Richelle's spouting off consisted of wishing people mental harm, placing a curse in her mind on them, wishing people to suffer, and to suffer the same hatred which people have shown and her. Richelle seems to forget that this will follow her and you in the pen community where memories are long for some people.

People showed a great deal of care for you when they read your message that you had died. There were numerous and I mean numerous messages of compassion for you from many. Richelle who is representative of your family to the board went ballistic on people who have had dealings in the past with you that were not terrific. It is a small community. Richelle is also a representative of your company. She does not seem to understand that everyone is a potential new customer and the chance for a returning customer to come back to you who might have had a not terrific dealing with you in the past.

Your speaking on her behalf in apology is not going to change things. She too has to make amends if she wants to last in the pen community. In fact, if she is going to do any kind of work in the future it means learning to control the temper.

I have a long memory. I do not forget things easily. I do my best to learn from my mistakes. I warn people of the mistakes I have made so they too do not make the same mistake.

I wish you well Dennis and better and improved health.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users